| Call Us On 0121 555 5500 | Call Us On 0121 558 3229

LOGO Property Specialist

A professional service with a difference

Landlord Guide

We outline on this page a basic, quick guide and overview for Landlords, to explain what is typically involved with letting property. If you need any further information or advice, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

  1. Request a free valuation
  2. Letting Only Service
  3. Full Management
  6. Legal matters and Certificates.

Request a free valuation

If you'd like one our specialist managers to conduct a valuation or review of your property, please click here to request a free valuation.

Back to top

Letting Only Service-  includes

  • Rental Valuation & Inspection
  • Advice to landlords on furnishings, health and safety issues and any maintenance recommendations.
  • Advertising & Marketing your property on our State of the Art website, UK's leading property portals, emailing and sms message details to all potential applicants along with newspaper advertising where appropriate.
  • We accompany all viewings wherever possible
  • Extensive referencing of tenants who wish to rent your property, via Homelet.
  • Preparation of the tenancy agreement/s.
  • Collection of initial rent and deposit.
  • Setting up standing order mandate for future rent subject to tenancy commencing.
  • Transfer of utility accounts
  • A professionally prepared detailed inventory of contents and condition

Back to top

Full Management

The complete service includes (all the above) plus:

  • Arranging maintenance.
  • Dealing with day to day tenant problems that may arise.
  • Closing inspection and check out at end of tenancy.
  • Organising return of deposit subject to the property being returned in a satisfactory condition.
  • Look to find suitable new tenants prior to expiry of the existing tenancy.

Back to top


The tenant will be responsible for the payment of gas, electricity, water, telephone, council tax and television licence. (Unless otherwise agreed and stated)
As the landlord you are still responsible for the payment of service charges and ground rent in leasehold properties and buildings insurance on Freehold properties

Back to top


Most tenancies are classed as Assured Shorthold Tenancies. Under the Housing Act 1998 (as amended 1996) landlords have more rights to possession than with tenancies commencing prior to the Acts and procedures for possession are now quicker and simpler (provided the process is carried out correctly).
There is no minimum period for an Assured Shorthold tenancy; however we recommend that the tenancy is for not less than six months.
Most tenancies are drawn up for a period of six months, some have break clauses. A break clause allows either party to terminate the agreement with two months notice after an initial period of four months the notice may be served. We will be happy to discuss the pros and cons of different time periods with you.

Back to top

Legal matters and Certificates.

Electric Certificates
If the only supply in a property is electric it is good practice as a landlord to have an electrical certificate in place, we can assist with the process of gaining an NICEIC certificate for your home. It’s so simple just give us a call
There is no statutory requirement to have annual safety check on electrical equipment like there is with gas. However, it is advisable for landlords to have periodic checks done by a qualified electrician. This will help make sure that the electrics are up to date and safe.

Gas Certificates
Urban City will assist you in obtaining a gas safety certificate, as a landlord of rented residential accommodation you must have an annual gas safety check carried out on gas appliances which are provided (and related gas flues). Tenants must be given copies of the Certificate (which must be no more than 12 months old) prior to moving in and given a copy of the Annual Safety Check Certificate. Work must only be carried out by Registered Gas Safe Engineers.

What responsibilities does the landlord have?

All private landlords have to have a valid gas safety certificate for all the gas equipment in the accommodation they rent out. Gas safety certificates can only be given by registered gas engineers and are valid for 12 months. In order to give a gas safety certificate the engineer has to check:

  • the gas supply
  • gas appliances
  • gas flues
  • ventilation

Landlords must keep copies of the inspection report and certificate and should keep records of any works carried out. You can ask for a copy. If the gas engineer notices any problems the landlord has to fix them. If a landlord fails to do this or fails to provide a gas safety certificate it is a criminal offence. The Health and Safety Executive can prosecute.
If the gas engineer identifies any problems with the gas equipment, the landlord has to get a registered gas engineer to carry out the works required. The gas engineer has the power to seal off any faulty equipment or request the gas company to cut off the supply to the property.

Who can issue Gas Safety Certificates?

  • Up until 31st March 2009 the gas engineer must have been registered with CORGI.  As from 1st April 2009 a replacement Gas Safety Register has taken over which is operated by CAPITA.  After 1st April 2009 the certificate will only be valid if issued by a gas engineer who is entered on the Gas Safety Register.  It is illegal to employ a non registered engineer.  Certificates issues by CORGI registered engineers remain valid so long as they were issued no later than 31st March 2009. 

Energy Performance Certificate

If you’re selling or renting your home you must have an EPC before marketing your property.

What is an EPC?

- A certificate showing information about a properties energy use and typical energy costs
- Recommendations on how to reduce the energy use of a property and save money
- The certificate gives the property an energy rating from A to G with A being the most efficient.

How long does it last?

- The certificate is valid for upto Ten years

Where can I get the EPC from?
- We here at Urban City have our dedicated team who are able to deliver an EPC within 48 hours.


Back to top